Please join us for our next virtual General Meeting on Sunday, June 27th, at 2:00pm PST.
This will be the first of many Organizing General Meetings. In April we held an organizing and strategy discussion, open to all members. This meeting went so well that the general meeting organizers decided that the focus of every other GM would be organizing and strategy.
At the meeting we will create a discussion group for each neighbourhood in Vancouver. Attendees are encouraged to think about a structure (single building, multiple buildings owned by a single landlord, every building on a block that is slated for redevelopment, etc.) that they are part of and are interested in discussing, with the intent of organizing the tenants within that structure.
We will send an update closer to the meeting with an agenda and links.
In the meantime, here are some updates on union activity over the last month.
VTU in the News:
- Canada’s Housing Market Out of Control – Jacobin Magazine article featuring VTU, and member Mazdak Gharibnavaz
- Lessons in Tenant Organizing From Three Cities – Media Co-op Article featuring VTU, and member Mariah Gillis
Worth a read:
- City of North Vancouver considering stronger demoviction protections
- Landlord Beware: “Plan A” Real Estate!
- Organizing with tenants and fighting rightist resentments – A case study from East Germany
- Toronto ACORN’s Rent Debt Victory
- Rise of Financial Landlords & REITS
Vancouver Tenants Union